Whether you are a pet owner or pet lover, I am sure it touches your heart when you see a neglected dog, a stray cat or read about all the pets in the shelters.
If you wonder how you can help, beside of adopting them all (if only I could) here are some ideas.
1. First and most, teach and encourage people around you that they should always adopt from a shelter where they can also find pure breeds and puppies. There are rescue groups that rescuing specific breeds. All that needs to be done is search on the internet. Some even ship the pet to you from another state.
2. Most No Kill rescue groups don’t have a brick and mortar place, they have volunteers who foster dogs and cats until they find a forever home, and they desperately need more foster homes. You get paid for the food and vet visits, so no cost for you. You only give love and attention.
3. Volunteers also needed for brick and mortar shelters to walk the dogs, feed, clean kennels, play with the cats, train dogs and socialize them.
4. Volunteers with computer skills – updating the website, accounting, photographing- the new pets, etc. for everyday office tasks.
5. You can’t commit, donate. Follow the advertising for food drive or do it when ever you have time. Also toys, pet beds, bed sheets, or money.
6. Take part on adoption days. Usually done once a week in Petco store, vet etc.
7. Just walk in or call a shelter near you (find it on the internet) and ask how you can help. No volunteer ever turns down.
You may do it on a regular basis or from time to time. Remember the dogs and cats who needs you.
Find more information about Animal Shelters & Rescues