You are seated at the table for dinner, and your furry baby looks at you with eyes of someone who eat nothing for the last month. It is bad habit giving your pet food while you eat. If you’ll keep doing it, you can forget having a nice relaxed dinner in the future. The other thing you need to know, is that some human foods may be dangerous and toxic for pets.
These foods can cause Cardiovascular issues, Kidney/Organ Failure, Neurological, Gastrointestinal and more. The list was collected from the ASPCA and the Humane-Society.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Apple seeds
- Apricot pits
- Cherry pits
- Candy (particularly chocolate—which is toxic to dogs, cats, and ferrets—and any candy containing the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
- Coffee (grounds, beans, and chocolate-covered espresso beans)
- Gum (can cause blockages and sugar free gums may contain the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
- Hops (used in home beer brewing)
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy foods
- Mushroom plants
- Mustard seeds
- Onions and onion powder
- Peach pits
- Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
- Rhubarb leaves
- Salt - small amount is ok
- Tea (because it contains caffeine)
- Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
- Xylitol (artificial sweetener that is toxic to pets)
- Yeast dough
- Garlic – some say it is toxic, some say that small amount do good. The ASPCA regarding dogs ”What we do know is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets. An occasional
small amount, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem, but because of the risk, we generally recommend that you avoid feeding your pets products that contain more concentrated amounts of garlic.” For cats – Cats are especially sensitive to garlic. Do not feed them any garlic.
- Cats rarely poisoned by food as they much more choosy than dogs.
In addition to food, Aspirin is toxic for pets. If you need pain relief you should always talk to your vet. If you are not sure about a specific food, you should also consult your vet.
If you discover your pet may have been poisoned, it is important not to waste time. Keep handy the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center number ( 888-426-4435 - you’ll have to pay fees) , or contact your vet or animal hospital.
Remember – the best cure is preventing. Store food and pesticide out of reach in closed packages.