Spooky! Yes, Halloween can be spooky…for cats and dogs too. So lets try and keep them calm and safe this Halloween. How do we do that? Easy!
1. The tasty chocolates and sweets collected during trick or treat on the night of Halloween sure is Yummy, to us and to our dogs as well. We tend to believe that animals know what is good or bad for them. Most dogs LOVE chocolate, but it is very toxic for most of them, especially dark or baking chocolate. So toxic that it can even cause death. Therefore, the first rule of the night of Halloween, and every other day, is to keep chocolates and sweets away from our pooches.
2. Sweet wrappers should go to the garbage, not on the floor or the table where our pooches can get it. We call our pets “furry babies” because they are just like infants. What they see and like they chew on and if ingested, they may choke. So the second rule is to keep the garbage in the garbage.
3. Trick or treat….the door bell is ringing, and strangers, scary strangers, small and big strangers coming to the door. The cat is already under the sofa and the dog barking like crazy, maybe trying to attack or just thinking that it’s been over an hour since the last walk and its time for another one. Big mess…to bring the calm back into your home, keep them behind a door in another room with water and some toys. Also, you may be surprised to find out that you have a Houdini at home who can open locked doors, so keep the ID tag on both, cats and dogs. So the third rule is keeping pets in another room with doors closed.
4. If pooch is having his own costume, make sure the size fits him, that he can breath and move freely, and that it’s not too heavy for him. If he doesn’t like wearing clothes, please do not force him just because you think it’s cute. The rule for the dogs’ costumes is keeping it as simple as possible. You can only have a tank or sweater with cute ears or funny Halloween lettering that will do the job. So the fourth rule is keeping costumes simple.
You don’t have one yet? Get one here @ www.4-legged.com
You are seated at the table for dinner, and your furry baby looks at you with eyes of someone who eat nothing for the last month. It is bad habit giving your pet food while you eat. If you’ll keep doing it, you can forget having a nice relaxed dinner in the future. The other thing you need to know, is that some human foods may be dangerous and toxic for pets.
These foods can cause Cardiovascular issues, Kidney/Organ Failure, Neurological, Gastrointestinal and more. The list was collected from the ASPCA and the Humane-Society.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Apple seeds
- Apricot pits
- Cherry pits
- Candy (particularly chocolate—which is toxic to dogs, cats, and ferrets—and any candy containing the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
- Coffee (grounds, beans, and chocolate-covered espresso beans)
- Gum (can cause blockages and sugar free gums may contain the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
- Hops (used in home beer brewing)
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy foods
- Mushroom plants
- Mustard seeds
- Onions and onion powder
- Peach pits
- Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
- Rhubarb leaves
- Salt - small amount is ok
- Tea (because it contains caffeine)
- Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
- Xylitol (artificial sweetener that is toxic to pets)
- Yeast dough
- Garlic – some say it is toxic, some say that small amount do good. The ASPCA regarding dogs ”What we do know is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets. An occasional
small amount, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem, but because of the risk, we generally recommend that you avoid feeding your pets products that contain more concentrated amounts of garlic.” For cats – Cats are especially sensitive to garlic. Do not feed them any garlic.
- Cats rarely poisoned by food as they much more choosy than dogs.
In addition to food, Aspirin is toxic for pets. If you need pain relief you should always talk to your vet. If you are not sure about a specific food, you should also consult your vet.
If you discover your pet may have been poisoned, it is important not to waste time. Keep handy the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center number ( 888-426-4435 - you’ll have to pay fees) , or contact your vet or animal hospital.
Remember – the best cure is preventing. Store food and pesticide out of reach in closed packages.
Celebrating 4th of July can be and should be fun, for humans. But if you are a pet parent, remember that it might not be as enjoyable for them. Fireworks booms may terrify cats and dogs. Some are so frightened that they’ll crawl under the furniture, hide in a corner or try to escape.
Here are a few reminders to use everyday but especially on July 4th.
* Even if your cats love the outdoors, and the dogs spending time in the backyard, In that night keep them indoors, that’s the simplest things you can do to keep them safe. The best is to stay with them at home if possible.
* If they are fearful, pat them, talk to them and let them stay at their favorite place where they feel most comfortable (like the kennel, on your bed, etc.)
* Make sure they have their ID tags with your updated phone number at all times. We all know that even indoor pets, take advantage of an open door, even on the most calm day.
* If in the past your pet experienced extreme problematic behavior and fear, talk to your vet before the 4th about giving them meds to calm him.
* Having a barbecue in your yard? Most items used are hazardous to pets. Alcohol, ethanol, fireworks, some human food (Chocolate, grapes, onions, avocados just to name a few) can cause poisoning and even death. The best is keeping them indoors.
Did you know – More pets go missing during the July 4th holiday than at any other time of the year.